Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rants, Raves and Things of Import

  • On Rants...........
I am a Conservative Republican. Now, don't be too quick to press the delete button or 'unfriend' me.  I happen to like that label.   A lot.  I am a news junkie and a political follower... on BOTH sides of the line.  Strictly speaking of the Conservative side, however, my rant today is with my fellow Conservative Republican party.  Sheesh.  It's like this folks... Remember 9-11?  Remember Todd Beamer? What an incredible man he was! We didn't know much about him until after he died, but when push came to shove in that airplane, well, he did the right thing.  Well, we have a Todd Beamer right now running for the office of the president that is in the cabin of the plane trying to do his best to keep the plane from plowing into the ground.  He's a nice guy. Honorable and integral as much as we know.  Lives a clean life.  Married for 40 some years.  Raised a great family. And He LOVES America!  He is leading in the polls. He has won primaries in 2 states,  so why not rally behind him and stop this nonsense of nit-picking, and raise him to the top!  We need a candidate that will stand up to our president and defeat him.  Romney will.
  • On Raves.......
Last weekend my hubby and I dropped our oldest daughter off to college.  Okay, that was the HARDEST thing I have ever done.  BUT she is in the best hands ever!  She is studying at BYU-Idaho. The feeling there is purely celestial. While listening to the President of the University the spirit was penetrable.  The campus is smallish, but sits up on the hillside with an amazing view of the valley.  My favorite building is the Spori building! When I hugged my daughter goodbye, the lump in my throat got tighter and the tears wet my cheeks.  Bye bye my sweet girl until Spring.
  • On Things of Import.....
Raves and things of import kind of flow into each other.  When I was a young woman a hundred years ago it seems, on the night before having my first baby, I sat on the bed and cried.  I was ending an era in my life.  My life with my husband all to myself.  It was super painful and selfish and I remember it feeling like standing behind a page in a chapter book not knowing what the rest of the story would look like. In some ways, it was the hardest thing I had ever done!  Fast forward 18 1/2 chapter years, and saying goodbye to the baby that became is now the hardest thing I've ever done.  I started thinking about difficult passages and realized that there will be a time that my baby girl that is all grown up will be a momma someday.  She will have the same semi-selfish thing happen to her, and I will tell her it's okay-- "Someday you will have to do something even harder, and that is to let your baby go."  Before my daughter left for school, I wrote her a letter.  In the letter I told her:   
No one ever told me when you were born how it would feel to say goodbye when it was time.  No one told me that no matter what, you have to hold your head up high with grace and let it happen, because it’s the right thing to do.  No one told me how it would feel like being socked in the stomach, that your heart would break in half and that your eyes would sting for hours from crying.  No one told me. I should’ve known it would feel this way.  I’ve been psyching myself out the past couple months thinking that I would be okay.  It would be okay.  And, really, it is- okay.  It’s what it’s supposed to be like.  If it didn’t feel painful and miserable and sad, there would be something wrong for sure.  But it’s the right thing, and it feels good, even though it feels awful. 

So for now, these are things of import:  Love your babies, because soon they will grow up and leave you, and it's okay.  That's the way it's suppose to be.
The end.

1 comment:

  1. Like you said, Mary Alice, the fact that you feel such separation anxiety shows what a great relationship you have developed with your daughter over her lifetime. She'll do great and you'll do great and you'll both be better for the experience. And her success will simply be a testament of all your hard work as a parent.

    ReplyDelete